Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Game 1 Stars

So the first eight innings of last night's game were a complete snoozefest. Duke looked good, limiting the Astros, but still giving up quite a few hits. Oswalt dominated our lineup, as he has done so many times.

Thank God for Nate McLouth and recharging the offense in the 8th inning with a pinch-hit home run. That's what I call a nice way to begin the season.



I've always been a big fan of McLouth and I hope he gets more of shot this year. I really like what he brings to the table. So after cutting it to a 2-1 lead heading into the 9th inning, the Bucs are hanging on to one last chance. Xavier Nady up with 2 outs and Brad Lidge on the mound. Yes, the same shaky Lidge that ruined by NL Keeper League team last season. He can't possibly do it again this year. Could he?



And...he does. Xavier Nady launches a ball over the left field fence to tie the game. Capps holds the 'Stros down. Bay launches his own homer in the 10th to win it. Torres closes it out. Game. The Bucs are 1-0. Wow!

Anyways, I'm going to give out 1, 2 and 3 stars after wins and 1, 2 and 3 dogs after a loss. I'm going to keep track of it on the left side and see who finishes first and last at the end of the season.

One star: I can't give it to all hitters. So I'm splitting this one up. Nate McLouth gets a .5 star for showing up today. Duke gets a .5 star for holding the Astros down like he did.

Two stars: Xavier Nady gets two stars for notching the game up at 2 with a blast off of Lidge. Game doesn't continue without that.

Three stars: Obviously this goes to Jason Bay. A great way to start the year with a game winner. I was just about to give the middle of the order three dogs too. Way to go Bay.

No comments: